Amour Agility

Our Adventures!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

It's a Puzzle!

A while back  I purchased a puzzle for Ellee that involved putting treats under the pegs and sliding doors and letting her sniff them out and figure out how to get to them to eat.  While I was reading the directions she had opened all the slide doors and removed all the pegs and eaten all the treats!  After a few weeks she was getting bored so I bought another one that looks like 3 levels  of stars and the levels spin open.  Now we switch back and forth between puzzles so she stays interested.  Today I gave Tulla and Steele each a chance with the star puzzle (I think it is the easier one--from a human point of view).  Tulla started slow and although she caught on pretty quick, just a few times where I slightly pushed the top level over to help hew realize the treats WERE inside....she got it!  Then it was the big guy's turn--he tried to eat them a I loaded them into the puzzle....as he is trying to gain weight I used the extra special beef jerkey treats, which do smell better to his nose--and did give him a slight advantage over Tulla's turn.  Steele had trouble because he tried to use his paws with this nose--- and when he placed his paw on top to hold  the puzzle as he pushed with his nose---it stopped it from turning!  It did look SO cute!  That big paw, so silvery and it looks seperate from his darker body---so it was funny!     ADORABLE is the word.  And it only took a couple trys and they both had the puzze down  pat!  SMART is the other word.  I will let them practice this one a couple more times before I get the sliding & peg one out next weekend. 
I am looking for another style puzzle for Ellee.  We already have the  ball you stuff with treats and use that too.  Every night El and I do a puzzle and I brush her teeth and hair.  It is our bedtime ritual.  Like people, dogs do better when we stimulate their minds.  My son plays a game puzzle with his rabbit, Cinnabun.  Cinny lives in the house and has a HUGE three level home my son built for her.  He hides treats and she has to find them, soomething like the old cup game and they put the money under a cup and them mixed them up and you had to pick the right cup or you lost--but in her case Cinny gets the treat when she sniffs it out.  She is SUPER FAST at this, and very creative in her searching and sniffing them out.  When the kids were younger we had two different rabbits, one named Funny Bunny, who was a lop and the other was a rex named Munchkin. The kids used to hide and call them and the bunnies would look for them in a hide and seek game.  Rabbits make great indoor pets.  Ours were litter boxed trained and very gentle, and most important, fun to love and play games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home